Here is our plans/activities for Week 2! We are just finishing this up this week.
Cooperation: States and Regions – New England
Week 2 of 14
- Bible: Phillipians 1:6 (review founding of America/New England with The Light and the Glory)
- Songs: Seafaring songs and “This Little Light of Mine”
- Writing: Older – report on whaling process
- Middle – report on making maple syrup
- Younger – report on 3 whales with pictures
- Pick/assign books for individual reading/reports
- Add New England states pages to the 50 States Notebook
- Family Reading (for the next 2 weeks): Carry On Mr. Bowditch by jean Lee Latham
- #31 – discussion – what comes to mind when you think of New England…see Volume for details
- #32 – Add landmarks to big map &/or maps in notebook
- #33 – Look at map, answer questions on page 110
- #34 – Business to start in New England?
- #36 – Plan 2 week field trip to New England..see Volume for ideas
- #37 – Visit travel agency for info on New England
- #38 – Observe New England architecture..see Volume for more details
- Books used: United States Coloring Book by Rod & Staff Publishers
- Heroes of History Maps of the United States by Emerald Books (YWAM)
- Facts About the 50 States by Sue Brandt
- Carry on Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
- The Light and the Glory for Children
- Bible: review Phillipians 1:6 and history of N.E.
- Writing: all–work on reading and outline/first draft of info
- #64 – How is maple syrup processed?
- #65 – Eat pancakes with maple syrup
- #66 – Eat maple syrup snow cones
- #43 – Puritans – Boston Baked Beans pg 111
- #44 – Boston Brown Bread pg 112
- #56 – How to make nets, and tie knots, pg 113
- #67 – Lighthouses, see Volume
- Do Massachusetts and Vermont Notebook pages
- Books used: Kids Learn America by Patricia Gordon
- The United States Cookbook by ‘DAmico and Drummond
- Bible: review Phillipians 1:6 adn history of N.E.
- Writing: all work on proofing and re-writing info to turn in
- #42 – make N.E Boiled dinner or similar version, see pf 111
- #57 – Study whales, see page 114
- #58 – Study whaling industry, see page 114
- #59 – watch Moby Dick
- #60 – Dramatize whaling
- #61 – talk like they do in New England see pg 114
- #62 – play lacrosse, see pg 114
- #55 – sing sea-faring songs
- Resources: video of Moby Dick..1956 version
Hello! I have not been able to keep everything updated this year like I wanted to! I hope to be able to keep up with posting what we are doing with our unit through the end of the year. This is a 14 week unit..so we will be working on it through the end of June!
We are having a lot of fun already!
I will do a separate post for each week’s worth of activities..with an outline of what we did/resources we used and pictures! Depending on how many pictures there are, I will probably do a slideshow….it is the easiest way to post a lot of pictures and still be able to explain what we are doing!
If you have any questions about our activities, please let me know!
We use the KONOS curriculum. The unit we are doing is from Volume 3. The numbers/pages referenced are from Volume 3: Cooperation-States and Regions
Week 1 of 14: Overview
- Bible: Romans 12:18
- #1 – attempt to draw outline of US..practice throughout unit
- #2 – attempt to label states on wordless map
- #10 – Where would you find major natural disasters (see book)
- Bible: romas 14:19
- Writing: #14 (older) – write book about USA..various options in Volume
- #15 – Make “States” notebook– add to it as you go through the unit
- #21 – Learn to spell states
- #22 – Learn two-letter state abbreviations
- #24 – learn cities and identify on map
- #25 – learn time zones
- (older) #13 – Plan family trip to National Parks.
- #21 continue
- #22 continue
- Bible: 1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Give students pages with state names and abbreviations for notebook reference
- #26 – Learn National parks (see pg 109)
- #27 – Do puzzles of US
- #28 – use puzzle, find missing state
- #30 – Use puzzle..sort by region (see Volume)
- Mark regions on big map
- #3 – build own big US Map or make large map (see book for details)
- #4 – take pictures of work in #3
- #5 – Add lakes,, rivers and mountains to map(s)
Learning the State names and abbreviations..part 1
Part 2 of Learning the State Name spellings and abbreviations
One of our verses for this week…we use it for copywork and memorization practice.
Our big map